13 Stone 4lb lost in 32 weeks, now slimmer of the year 2007 runner up

Tuesday 20 February 2007

Tuesday Week 4

Had another good day today, the day has flown by and I have not felt hungry at all.
The kids are currently eating a home made chicken casserole filled with vegetables, herbs and lean chicken, all served with brown wholemeal rice, followed by fresh fruit. Now that has got to be a healthy improvement.
I have been looking at the calorie content of various items, I am shocked... its clearly evident that I was consuming at least 5000 calories per day. Is it any wonder why I have got myself into such a state. A typical sandwich I would buy for lunch, triple pack ladened with mayo on white bread has around 750 calories. All that before the crisps, cake and/or chocolate bar.
I have added up the calories in a typical Indian takeaway (typical for me, probably not the average guy) I could quite easily consume 4000 calories in just one meal!!!
I also looked into breakfast cereals, loads of them even those acclaimed to be "good for you" actually have loads of sugar in them. Bran flakes... Full of sugar. The good things seem to be any make of weetabix, value rice crispies, shredded wheats, oats or instant hot oat cereal, puffed wheat (plain not golden coated) and Sainsburys Basics Muesli.
This link takes you to a freely available "which" report with downloads on about 200 cereals... you will be shocked and surprised!
http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_campaigns/food_and_drink/campaigns/nutrition/Cereals/Breakfast_cereals_560_53271.jsp

I have found a chart that says at 11.5 stone (allowing for 1/2 stone of glycogen once stopped losing) I will need just 2045 -3067 calories per day to maintain my weight, depending on level of exercise undertaken the higher figure falls into the "Very Active" category.

My new scales have arrived and I am most impressed, I seem to get a constant reading each time I get on which is a good thing. One downside (not a real problem) I set my goal weight which is 11 stone, the difference between current weight and goal weight needs to be within 6.5 stone for it to work so I get an error message, This will be fine when more weight is lost and does not stop them functioning as good set of digital scales.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, i followed your comment from sarah (hereigoagain), i am doing CD too as a result of reading sarahs blog. well done you, and well done on changing the food at home, if you live anywhere a market the fruit and veg is alot cheaper - maybe not the selection, same with a proper butcher, my inlaws live in leicester, there is a fantastic market there. i've lost just over 3 stone so far, got about 7 to go. keep at it. it's great you are doing it with your wife too, must be nice to have a diet buddy. take care.